Understanding Mold – Why DIY Mold Removal May Not Be a Good Idea
Although cleaning up small mold-infested areas is achievable, sometimes a mold removal task can be too overwhelming. Mold can be easily removed from non-porous surfaces, such as tile or stone, but removing it from wood, drywall or fabrics is a different story. Homeowners who attempt to tackle mold removal put their health at risk, as well as their property if the job is done poorly. Here are some situations in which mold removal is better left to professionals:
- When the area covered with mold is larger than 10 feet square, the extent of the damage may be too big for DIY mold removal. Large mold-infested areas should be immediately handled by a team of professionals to mitigate the losses and prevent further mold growth.
- Mold sometimes contaminates the heating and ventilating system of the home. Because these systems can further spread the infestation, mold should be removed immediately to prevent it from growing in other parts of the home. Most property owners don’t have the necessary equipment and knowledge to decontaminate their HVAC systems
- Often times, mold hides in unseen areas, such as behind drywall, and removing it requires specialized mold detecting equipment and techniques. Mold removal specialists can detect hidden mold in the home, which allows them to create a proper plan of action.
- Structural repairs are sometimes needed in a mold removal job. For instance, removing and replacing damaged drywall, or caulking and repainting an entire room. Many homeowners don’t have the time, skills or tools to do structural repairs. Plus, there is a risk that they will do more damage to the home, which can lead to costly repairs.
- Mold may be the result of flooding due to burst sewage pipes or sewer overflow. This contaminated water contains dangerous chemicals, and the property should be cleaned, sanitized and dried by professionals. DIY mold removal in these conditions can be hazardous and much more difficult.
- Exposure to mold can worsen a medical condition, such as asthma or allergies. If you plan to do DIY mold removal in the home, make sure to check with your doctor first and find out if mold exposure will damage your health. If you’re already feeling headaches, coughing, sneezing or other mold exposure symptoms, stay away from mold and have someone else remove it.
- In many DIY mold removal cases, mold is not properly removed from the property and will most likely recur several days after the cleanup. As already mentioned, some mold can be difficult to detect without specialized equipment and techniques.
To learn more about mold removal, visit this page; tips to prevent mold in your home are available here. Learn the truth behind 5 common myths about mold in this article. For professional fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.