Pumpkin Carving – Preservation and Safety Tips
After making a great Jack-o’-lantern for Halloween, many of us are disappointed when we see mold spots on it the next day. Like any vegetable, carved pumpkins will decay and be infested with mold relatively fast if not treated. Here are a few ideas to help you enjoy your carved pumpkins longer:
- After carving, soak the pumpkin in a bucket filled with a solution of water and bleach (1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water) and leave it there for 8 hours. Use the same solution to spray the pumpkin daily. Bleach prevents rot.
- Coat your pumpkin with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) after it is carved and emptied to keep it hydrated for several days.
- Spray the pumpkin with acrylic spray to prevent mold growth and preserve the pumpkin flesh.
- Use a commercial pumpkin preservative, such as Pumpkin Fresh, to prolong the life of your pumpkin; it inhibits mold growth and dehydration.
Hand injuries and fires are unfortunate accidents that occur during Halloween season. You can prevent these from happening by following a few simple tips:
- Instead of using candles, choose battery-operated or electric lights to bring your pumpkins to life. Unattended candles present a high risk of accidental fire. Moreover, electric lights can provide more options, such as color effects, LED lighting and strobe.
- To avoid injury, make sure your hands, pumpkin and tools are dry before carving. Moisture can cause your hands or knife to slip.
- Supervise children at all times while they carve pumpkins. Only allow young kids to use the safest tools possible, such as spoons.
For fire safety reasons, we would like to remind you to never leave a candle unattended during Halloween or at any other time. PuroClean is ready to provide professional restoration services to any home that affected by fire, mold or water damage.