Follow These Tips to Prevent Spring Thaw Flooding
Spring is notorious for its unpredictable weather. The combination of heavy rains and rapid snow thaw can result in severe home flooding. Here are vital tips to prepare your home for spring thaw and prevent water damage:
- Remove snow around your house with a shovel so that thawed snow will drain away from your home. Also, remove obstructions or debris that could prevent water from being carried away from your house.
- Check your home’s drainage. Ensure that flood drains outside your house are not obstructed by debris. Check that the floor drains in your home are unobstructed as well. Roof drains should be open and flow freely.
- Maintain gutters and downspouts. Backed up gutters and downspouts are likely to cause overflows and flooding. Remove debris, ice, and snow from gutters and downspouts so water can freely move away from your home.
- Have your roof inspected to ensure that it is prepared for storms and to keep water out of your house. If your roof still has snow on it, check out how to safely remove snow from roofs here.
- Install water alarm and flood sensors if your home is prone to flooding. These devices are designed to send an alert when they detect unwanted water in the home.
- Elevate items in the basement. Relocate sensitive items, such as documents or electronics to the upper levels of your home. If you can’t move items from the basement, move them off the ground and onto shelves or pallets.
- Install a sump pump in the basement. Sump pumps protect your basement from flooding by removing excess water around your home’s foundation, transporting it safely outside. If you already have a sump pump, make sure it is clean and the intake valve is clear. Test the sump pump to ensure it’s in proper condition.
- Purchase flood insurance ahead of time. Most homeowners’ policies do not include flood damage so it’s important to purchase this protection separately. However, make the call today as flood insurance becomes effective 30 days after the date of purchase.
Check out more tips to prevent home flooding in this article and how to prevent basement flooding here. For flood water damage repair and mold remediation service, contact your local PuroClean office.